TIPS & ACTIONS : Week 2
DESIGN YOUR LIFE
“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” (Howard Thurman)
Social innovation is powerful – you have the chance to change your little piece of the world, and potentially have an impact beyond it. So it’s important to know HOW you want to change things.
We’re going to start by asking, “How do we want to see Africa?” What do we really want in our communities, cities, country and continent? Once you have a hope, you have a goal to head towards and the problems are merely stepping stones to overcome on your way to your destination. Understanding who you are is invaluable to this journey. If you understand both your strengths and your weaknesses (which are often closely linked), you will know what you can contribute to the world. Designing or creating could be described as simply expressing who you are.
“Your emotional commitment to your task is what will keep you going, and is the most important starting point.” (Francois Petousis – Lumkani)
“Do something you love; not merely because of an opportunity. Don’t start by saying “This is not really my thing, but it could be huge.” (Ariane de Bonvoisin)
“Your passion will leak onto those around you and encourage them to join your mission.“ (Devin de Vries – Where’s My Transport)
- Find a place you feel comfortable and reflect on these questions. You don’t have to think about these for too long. Just follow your intuition:
- What makes you smile?
- What are your favourite things to do?
- What makes you feel great about yourself?
- What are your beliefs? Do you believe the world is good or bad? That life is easy or hard? That opportunities are scarce or abundant? That the world is for or against you? These beliefs will determine your action.
- What language do you use? If you’re constantly saying “That was a nightmare!” “Today is hectic” “What a busy week”, you’ll shape your reality with this language.
What is your physiology? How do you show up? With a straight and upright posture, clear voice and light in your eyes or with your head hanging?” (Ariane de Bonvoisin)
- “Find your why. Why is your fuel. How stands in your way. If the Why is strong, the How becomes easy.” (Ariane de Bonvoisin)
Who inspires you most? What qualities about these people do you like?
- If you had to teach something, what would you teach?
- What causes do you strongly believe in or connect with?
If you could get a message across to a large group of people what would that be?
- If you were to set a goal for each area of your life, what would it be:
- Community (social impact)
“Whatever you can do or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic. Start now.” (WJ Goethe)
- Week 2 Highlight video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lymoE2V7p-c
- Social Innovator Profiles:a. Devin De Vries: profile-devon.php b. Kumbirai Gundani: profile-kumbirai.php
c. Kayli Vee Levitan: profile-kayli.php
d. Francois Petousis: profile-francois-p.php
e. Lufefe Nomjama: profile-lufefe.php
- Pro-Circuit Coach Profile: Ariane De Bonvoisin: http://upstarts.co.za/profile-ariane.php
- Mindblowing Monday videos :a. Devon Devries: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnXf2CtIirAb. Kumbirai Gundani: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKlW8wsWlc8
c. Kayli Vee Levitan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xfywea6rVE
d. Francois Petousis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ-G2JCR2-Y
e. Lufefe Nomjama: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrigralHPrQ
- Workshop Wednesday video: (coming soon)
- Slide Share:1. Kumbirai Gundani: http://www.slideshare.net/UCTupstarts/uct-upstarts-fundu-from-kumbirai-gundani2. Kayli Vee Levitan: http://www.slideshare.net/UCTupstarts/uct-upstarts